Friday, May 10, 2013

I'm baaaaaack!

Well well well, It's been a Year and a half...Give or take a few months, since last I wrote in here. But things have recently changed (yet again) in my life, and I feel a renewed urgency to write in this blog.If you have followed me in the past, you may notice something is missing in the picture below....Give uo? Yeah, that'd be about 82 pounds of fat that is missing. I had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in March, and am feeling better than I have in years. Im off of high blood pressure and cholesterol meds, and am becoming more and more active.
I'm feeling so good in fact, I helped instruct a Leave No Trace class in the North Carolina Mountains this past weekend! OK, so I didn't do a whole lot instructing per se, but I was there as an instructor, watching how to teach adults. So far all my experience in LNT instructing has been with Cub Scouts, who, BTW, are a whole lot easier to get up and talk to thatn a room full of adult leaders who are there to complete a ticket item for Wood Badge! Whew! tough crowd!

Anyway, it was a very good weekend, despite the fact that it was raining, and the temperature hovered right around 40 the whole weekend. The only negative was that I was cheap, and bought a tent footprint to use as a rain fly for my hammock. Well, the fly was too short, the rain ran down my hammock straps, and pooled up into the bottom of my hammock. Luckily, I went to bed fully dressed, with my rain gear on (A side effect  of losing so much weight is that Im always cold, so I dressed for a very cold night), so I personally didnt get wet, but a pack that had weighed 24 pounds when I first packed it had turned into what felt like 40 pounds of wet gear that had to be hiked out for a couple of miles.Anyway, here a couple of photos I took before my phone died.The one picture that is just trees? If you look closely, you can see a clutch of turkey eggs at the base of one of the trees. We startled a hen while she was nesting. Following the principle of respecting wildlife, we took one picture and beat it out of there so we werent disturbing her for longer than we had to.





 Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, and let y'all know I'm still alive! Im gonna post more as we get out and about more, so keep stopping by!







No comments: