Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Sixth Ethic......

Yesterday a fellow Trainer and I had the opportunity to teach the Front Country guidelines of Leave No Trace to a group of scout leaders at a Scouting Success seminar. For the most part they were very open to what we had to say, but one fellow laughed a bit, made a joke here and there, and finally aid "I want to embrace this, but I'm having a hard time wrapping myself around this whole "Respect Wildlife" concept!". Personally, I don't see why anyone would need any help grasping the concept, but for those not in the know, here's what the 6th ethic sates:

Respect Wildlife

  • Observe wildlife from a distance. Do not follow or approach them.
  • Never feed animals. Feeding wildlife damages their health, alters natural behaviors, and exposes them to predators and other dangers.
  • Protect wildlife and your food by storing rations and trash securely.
  • Control pets at all times, or leave them at home.
  • Avoid wildlife during sensitive times: mating, nesting, raising young, or winter.

So.....Whats so hard to understand? It seems to me that it's all rather straight forward. Take a look at the picture above, I took that a few days ago.2 Does, 2 bucks and a fawn. Now usually you don't see bucks, and if you do it's only for a few seconds before they crash through the forest in what can only be called a perfect display of self preservation. But these deer, they saw me in my golf cart, and they had absolutely no concern over my presence whatsoever. These deer have obviously had too much exposure to humans and civilization. I will be very surprised if I don't see any of them on the side of the road this season.

The Sixth ethic is one of the most important I think, and one of the most abused. I am of the opinion that if we, as a people, cant respect wildlife? Well then, we have no right to be in the wilderness at all.

5 comments:

Ratty said...

My comment is a little bit late for the post. I was moving at the time you posted this one. I think the guy that was laughing about respecting wildlife is just a clown. People who can't respect wildlife probably also don't respect other people either.

LuckyBezel said...

Of course, this does not apply when hunters are allowed to hunt.

Rai said...

Great explanation.

YorkshireMike said...

Unfortunately some people lack an ability to see things from anything but their narrowminded point of view.

But perhaps further explaining the dangers of interacting with wildlife, with an example like the one you just gave, will make this fellow understand?

Musings by Robert said...

You better believe it - respect is necessary to wildlife!
http://musingsbyrobert.blogspot.com/