Friday, October 9, 2009

To Autumn

O Autumn, laden with fruit, and stainèd
With the blood of the grape, pass not, but sit
Beneath my shady roof; there thou may'st rest,
And tune thy jolly voice to my fresh pipe,
And all the daughters of the year shall dance!
Sing now the lusty song of fruits and flowers.
`The narrow bud opens her beauties to
The sun, and love runs in her thrilling veins;
Blossoms hang round the brows of Morning, and
Flourish down the bright cheek of modest Eve,
Till clust'ring Summer breaks forth into singing,
And feather'd clouds strew flowers round her head.

`The spirits of the air live on the smells
Of fruit; and Joy, with pinions light, roves round
The gardens, or sits singing in the trees.'
Thus sang the jolly Autumn as he sat;
Then rose, girded himself, and o'er the bleak
Hills fled from our sight; but left his golden load.

William Blake


I love this time of year the best, but this year it's been kind of hard to "get going"
as it were. The boys and I were going to jump start everything on Sunday with a hike through Graveyard fields but Boudreaux is sick with a fever (not H1N1 thank the Lord), and it's supposed to rain all weekend here, we have football games on both days, and choir practice on Sunday (part of Faith Formation at our parish), so even if #1 son wasn't sick, my weekend seems to have already been decided for me.

I have a selfish idea though.......I'm thinking I might go to the mountains for a weekend by myself in
November. no really, just drive up to Pisgah National Forest one Friday, find a campsite along the Davidson river, and spend a night or two there, fly fishing. Who could say no to this? I think I'm feeling the need for a little solitude & introspection right now. My wife is off to Texas for her High school reunion, and I think that when she's back I'm going to ask her if this proposal is acceptable to her. Nothing is wrong per se, but I just want to go somewhere without having to worry about someone else and their needs, if only for a few hours....Or, in this case a few days. I don't even care if I catch anything, I never really have. I've been deer hunting before where it was just nice to be in a tree stand -alone- for 5 hours or so, swaying in the breeze in unison with the pine tree I was in.

Things are just weighing heavy on my soul these days. Not that anything in particular is so out of balance, not that my life has any perceptible flaws or reasons for me to gnash my teeth, I just think, I need a small break......

2 comments:

Ratty said...

Even in the best of times some solitude is a good necessary thing. Underneath everything we are all still individuals.

Joan Perry; Sidewalk Curator said...

Sounds wonderful. I hope you can work it out.