Saturday, October 31, 2009

Our Haunted Halloween Hike to the Robinson Rockhouse Ruins.

Well wouldn't you know it, we went on a hike to a new site, and I forgot to bring my camera! Doh!Doh!Doh! Ah well, I knicked these pictures via Google to illustrate where we were ( I photoshopped them though)and what we saw. Forgive me for the thievery dear reader.

Anyway, Boudreaux, Myself and our fearless pup Molly decided that it was such a nice Hallowee
n afternoon, that a hike through our closest nature preserve was a grand idea. Luckily, we live really close to a fantastic park that is complete with fishing, coyotes, Bobcat, deer, owls, all sorts of distractions, along a series of great trails. We had not decided on what we were going to do until we were at the trail heads, and it occurred to me that we had never been to the Robinson rockhouse. After consulting with my fearless viking, we headed off into the woods. The trail was rather easy, a few steep inclines and a little bit of mud (It had been raining for three days, after all), but aside from that it was a grand journey!

The Robinson rockhouse and the land surrounding it was originally granted to Robert Robinson by George Augustus Selwyn in 1767 and King George III in 1769, so the house itself is 240 years old, and for a Halloween hike, you couldn't have asked for more! To get to the site, you have to take a trail that gets progressively thinner, that farther into the woods you get. There are all sorts of deer trails interspersed along the way, and the only reason you know you are on the right path is by the little metal hiker signs that are on the trees every 10 feet or so. As you get closer to the ruins, you come across this massive orange tree that fell over a few years ago in an ice storm. The park rangers say it was planted by the Robinsons 200 years ago as a shade tree. it's probably a good 5 feet in circumference, just a massive, massive tree. despite being dead, it shows no outward signs of rot.
The ruins-just behind the felled orange tree- of the house are just that, ruins, but vastly impressive in their own right. The city of Charlotte has been going back and forth with historic preservation over archeological rights, as it is the oldest site of it's kind that can be excavated without damaging the remains. As such,it could give us great insight into the lives of some of our counties earliest settlers and their daily lives. There is supposed to be a cemetery somewhere around here too, but my son -6 year olds being the catious lot they are- decided that we weren't going to go looking for that any time soon. The stairs were easily 4 to 5 feet wide, and a foot and a half to two feet thick. No bricks here folks, these were just huge slabs of rock.
As we turned around and started back towards the car, it occurred to me that, what really got me about the ruins (that I did not attempt to explain to Boudreaux) was how much they reminded me of a movie I had seen a few years back about hikers in the woods.
Happy Halloween everyone!!

1 comment:

Ratty said...

I know the movie you mentioned. I never once thought about it while on a hiking trip, but I will now. I might give me an inspiration for a fun story one of these days.