Thursday, February 19, 2009

Memories......

I was looking through old photographs yesterday, and I found this photo. It kind of struck me, because I think this is who I got my sense of adventure in the outdoors from. This is a picture of me, my sister and our Grandfather on a hike in the Pine Barrens of Southern New Jersey. He and my Grandmother moved there after he retired from ARCO in Philadelphia. He loved the ocean; had a sailboat, and a big Chris craft with a flying deck.

He used to take us out almost daily on the big boat; We'd go out and explore all the little hidden coves in Barnegat Bay, sliding effortlessly past hunting cabins and duck blinds closed for the season, past sand bars and jetties. We'd spend the best part of our summers fishing ,clamming, and finding seahorses and horshoe crabs in the shallows arounf Barnegat Lighthouse.

My Grandfather loved the outdoors, and I think that part of the reason I love it so. Moreover, i think the joy he had in showing me and my sister new and wonderous things in his backyard is why I want my boys to know it as well. He died 12 years ago, and he left a really big hole in my heart when he went, but I think seeing the wonder of new discoveries in my sons eyes is shoring up that hole, filling it in, making the pain and sorrow fade away like the sun going down on Barnegat Light and the beautiful New Jersey Pine Barrens.

2 comments:

Ratty said...

Your photo reminds me of when I lived in Tennessee for a few years when I was a kid. I think it was the happiest time of my life. We had nature all around us back then. Your photo and story really brings back some great memories of my own for me.

mama said...

How wonderful to read your tender memory of your Grandpa ...and my Daddy. He would be so proud to know what a wonderful son, husband and father you have become. Mom