Saturday, December 6, 2008

Somewhere outside Albemarle in a deer stand


Been on stand since 5:30 AM, and haven't seen anything but three squirrel's-a-scrounging, two cardinals-a-pecking, and a titmouse in an oak tree....No seriously, I DID see 3 squirrel's, 2 cardinals and a titmouse!

I've heard a lot of shooting around me, but so far I haven't seen any deer. But, that's not surprising, since we're between the first rut and the second. Most of them are hunkering down in the early morning these days. They have gotten used to the routine of the loud booms heralding bad things for them, and they simply wait us out...

I don't really mind not getting a deer; I'm just grateful for a chance to be out in the woods again. Albeit, the entire purpose IS to bag a deer, I'm just happy to be alone in a stretch of woods, watching this little titmouse hop from tree limb to tree limb, landing gracefully every now and then to grab corn beneath the automatic feeder.

It's been this way with me for a few years now, I just want to be out in the woods. I want to be away from the city and all the petty dramas and concerns that seem gravitate towards populated living, it just doesn't seem to be what I need....No, not need, what I want anymore.....

I know, I know, common sense (and the cost of living) dictates different; it tells me I must live and work within the confines of my cities limits and adhere to the normal construct of society, but I oh-so want to be out in the woods, watching that Titmouse flutter from tree to corn pile and back again.....

1 comment:

Ratty said...

Wow, I know exactly what you mean. I'd love to escape civilization myself. The more I try, the more it pulls me back.