Friday, October 24, 2008

The great outdoors.....


OK, my anti-social mood has waned somewhat from my last post, so I can talk about our camping experiences at greater length now....I still want to move to the mountains, but at least I am not loathing my present locale nearly as much today.


Anyway, I suppose I ought to start with last years Christmas gift from my parents, which is which was the impetus for the whole "lets go camping!" epiphany we collectively had as a family.

This my friends, is the family tent.... It has become known to one and all in our Cubscout pack as "the Taj Mahal" because it is so horking huge. Seriously folks, this is a BIG tent. This is what is called the LL Bean King Pine Dome Tent, Six-Person model. I have to admit, I thought it was going to be a little bit too big for my family, but it actually seems as if it's going to be just the right size.
The Cajun princess has not been camping with us yet, but myself, Boudreaux and Thibadeaux slept very comfortably together on a queen size air matress, with the most minimal of discomfort being a slight chill on the face in the morning...Discomfort for Thibadeaux, but for me it was wonderful. Instead of sleeping in sleeping bags, we made a bed with an alternating base of 2 blankets and 2 sleeping bags (unzipped and spread out), and covers done in the same fashion. We put Thibadeaux in the middle (little nuclear generator that he is), and it was really quite warm and cozy.
So all in all, our first run with the tent was a success, and I think my family has taken a liking to the camping experience. I'm not sure about camping in the summer time though; too many bugs for my taste, but the other three seasons seem to be just fine.
Hopefully, I'll be posting more pictures later tonight or tomorrow, plus a much more thorough report on the weekend. It's just that it's been so long since I wrote anything, I wanted to go ahead and post something, try to stir the creative juices as it were.
Your camping recipe of the week from BackPacking Recipes.com:
3 eggs1 1/2 cups sugar2 tsp. vanilla1/4 cup butter, melted2 cups all-purpose flour1/2 tsp. salt1/4 cup instant coffee crystals1/4 cup milk or heavy cream1 cup pecans, chopped1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

At home: preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease a 13 by 9 inch pan. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the sugar, vanilla and butter, beating to combine. Stir in the flour and salt. Set aside 1 � cups of batter. Stir the coffee crystals and cream and add to the remaining batter. Spread the coffee batter into the prepared pan. Add chocolate chips to the reserved batter and spoon over the coffee batter. Run a knife through the two batters to marble them. Sprinkle the pecans over the top. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the center is firm and set. Cool before cutting into bars. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

In camp: unwrap and enjoy! Makes about 2 dozen.

Note: These firm up as they cool. They are not like a granola bar. More like a dense coffee cake or brownie.
This recipe courtesy of One Pan Wonders




2 comments:

Dicentra said...

Thanks for the mention. :) Enjoy the bars.

Ratty said...

Camping is great! No one else around me likes it, so I don't go very often. I usually stick to something that doesn't last overnight. After reading your post, I'm rethinking that. Maybe I'll go even if I have to do it alone! It might be more interesting like that anyway.