Thursday, May 1, 2008

St. Augustine, LSU and Podcasts......


Ok, so I was listening (with great intent I might add) to the most recent Catholic Underground podcast, "CU Special #5: For the Parousians About to Rock, We Salute You.", where they met up with a group of Parousians from LSU, and they were talking about St. Augustine, and I was so fascinated by their talk, that i had to look him up, and found this nifty site called "Augustine, Day by Day". Wow! It's really a pretty nifty site! Im not quite sure what exactly the Parousians are all about just yet, but they seem very interesting as well.

May 1

Forgive--Give

Do you wish to receive? Then give! Do you wish to be forgiven? Then forgive! This is just a brief summary. Hear Christ say in another place, "forgive, and you shall be forgiven."

Forgive; give. And you shall be given what you desire--eternal life.


Augustine's Great Canticle of Love

My love of you, God, is not some vague feeling;
It is positive and certain.
Your word struck into my heart
and from that moment I loved you.
Besides this, all about me,
heaven and earth and all that they contain
proclaim that I should love you.

But what do I love when I love you?
Not material beauty of a temporal order;
not the brilliance of earthly light;
not the sweet melody of harmony and song;
not the fragrance of flowers, perfumes, and spices;
not manna or honey;
and not limbs the body delights to embrace.

It is not these that I love when I love my God.
And yet, when I love him,
it is true that I love a light of a certain kind,
a voice, a perfume, a food, an embrace;
but they are the kind that I love in my inner self,
when my soul is bathed in light that is not bound by space;
when it listens to sound that never dies away;
when it breathes fragrance that is not borne away on the wind;
when it tastes food that is never consumed by the eating;
when it clings to an embrace from which
it is not severed by fulfillment of desire.
This is what I love when I love my God.

1 comment:

AnnieElf said...

Nice site to have found Steve. I bookmarked it for daily readings. Thanks. Now I'm going to Googe Parousians and see what that is about.