Thursday, May 29, 2008

Reading....

So I am what you might call a "happy camper"; In an effort to save money, we have chucked out our digital cable box, as well as the other two regular cable boxes, and have committed to receiving the minimal amount of cable stations possible. In this day and age, that is certainly a step towards a spartan existence (can you feel the sarcasm there?), but the gesture is a good one. It's only been 5 days, but already I personally feel that we are -as a family- spending a great deal more time together (in the same room talking) than we did previously. In the past, the television has dominated our landscape; at any given time, I could walk in our house from work, and all three TV's would be on, and in some instances, NOONE was watching ANY of them!

Now, before the Cajun Princess and I got married, I had a TV at my apartment that got one NBC affiliate, and a PBS station. So I watched "The Simpsons", "Nova" and maybe the evening news, if I wasn't already depressed enough. The majority of my time was spent reading, and listening to the radio, and I was happy with that! But for the past 8 years, our lives have been dominated by this malignant, 32 inch wide ,brain vacuum! Perhaps I'm being overdramatic with the word "dominated", but it certainly felt like that at times. I'm not claiming to be superior or anything, I am just as guilty as everyone else in my house when it comes to watching junk (What else can you call it when you make time in your day for recordings of "Robot Chicken"?), but I am so glad those boxes are gone! Time to start reading -heavily- again, time to do all those things I should have been doing all along, but I let fall by the wayside.......So I think for the meanwhile, I might start doing "book reports" on this blog about the books I'm reading, in case anyone else might be interested in them.


4 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

I watch very little TV (unlike the others in my family) but that's mostly because I just haven't found anything that I want to watch all that much!
Go for it with the book reports. I find some of my best reads through other people's recommendations.

Tausign said...

Brain Vacuum, LOL...I'll have to remember that. In my area cable made a change that added two channels and deleted one. The one was my beloved CSAN2-Book TV. I refused to buy up to the digital box until I'm forced to in Feb. My TV viewing has dropped to nearly zero, especially when sports viewing is at a lull. One show is on my palete; Battlestar Galactic of all things...but it's the one and only show all week.

Yes books are back as I have even cut back seriously on blog feeds. I'm guessing, buts here's a recommendation that might be right up your alley(Barb too if she peeks back here). Gotta read my 'book report' to find it: Finding Your Spiritual Family

Annie said...

Uncomfortable as it may be for me to say, I think that my withdrawal from TV would be short and painful but then it would be OVER WITH. I already read a lot. How much more could I read. Hummmm.

Under there... said...

We just did the same thing with our direct TV. The prices were obscene and totally wasted on our family. Ahhh...the smell of real books again.