Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Prayer.....

Agony in the Garden by Rembrandt van Rijn

So I was listening to the "Daily Breakfast" podcast with Father Roderick this morning (if you haven't done podcast yet, I recommend him highly), and he is talking about praying; How do you pray? Do you keep it simple, or is it a long, all morning event? I usually do a small prayer when I wake up, and then the rosary on my way to work. Sadly, I don't do the rosary on weekends, unless I'm in the car by myself, because (as I'm sure alot of you can testify to) it is really hard top pray with a car full of kids!
Aside from these, and prayers at meals, my prayerful life falls short. But how do you make the time during the day? I try to make room for more prayer, I read Magnificat during the day when I have the chance, but sometimes my job is so demanding, that I just don't have the time. I used to take soooo long to say the rosary; I'd say every one of my intentions, and that got to the point where it took almost as long as the rosary did! So I started writing my intentions down ina little book I called my prayer book, and even that got to be bothersome, so now I just simply tell the Lord that I'd like to pray for all the intentions in my heart that have gone unspoken on my lips, and I save the spoken intentions for really important matters....but is it necesarry to say them out loud?

Father Roderick went on to say that prayer is actually and act of Faith, and faith starts with listening, so in turn, so does prayer. Prayer is not so much us talking to god he says, but us listening to (and for) God. he said that even the most devout and Orthodox of religions start off prayer with listening to what God says; "Listen Israel, the Lord is your God", so maybe I'm on the right track.
I don't always feel like my prayers are heard, and again, perhaps it is because were not supposed to be looking for answers, but just listening...

"The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays."

~Kierkegaard~

No comments: