Sunday, February 3, 2008

Am I???

misanthrope
Main Entry:
mis·an·thrope Listen to the pronunciation of misanthrope
Pronunciation:
\ˈmi-sən-ˌthrōp\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Greek misanthrōpos hating humankind, from misein to hate + anthrōpos human being
Date:1683: a person who hates or distrusts humankind
I have been battling this for a long, long time. It's not something I am proud of, and it's not something I want to carry, but I -in the past- have honestly been of the opinion that a large percentage of humanity is either too stupid or too narcisstic to survive. I see things on TV; commercials for chat lines, TV shows like "Hollywood housewives", "Project runway", and "My Super Sweet 16". I see the news dogs clamoring for shots of Britney crying, and Heath Ledgers corpse, and I have to wonder if we wouldn't all be a little better off without all these "distractions" around. I mean, here we are, waiting for the next tidbit about Britney, and meanwhile Haitians are actually eating cookies made of mud. we bitch about the price of gas and how the Arabs are screwing us, yet Exxon makes $404.55 billion this year, slightly larger than the 2006 gross domestic product of Turkey, the world's 17th largest economy!!! Are we so blind to what a fat, gluttonous hog we -America- have become, that we cant see other peoples suffering? I'm appalled, floored by it if you want to know the truth. I'm thankful to be an American, but I am ashamed and I am outraged that we pay these types of people such homage. Shouldn't we be helping the people of Haiti? Darfur and the plethora of other less known places where misery, corruption, starvation and genocide are are the rule?

I know I said I wasn't going to turn political with this blog, and I'm really not, but I don't think I can stand silently by and be part of all this..........crap! So, I think that for Lent this year, I am going to have a few different things to work towards. As soon as I can think it out, I'll post them here.
Pax et Bonum, Vivat Jesus!!

2 comments:

Tausign said...

It's occassionally good to go against the grain;
But be wary of excessive disdain;
We must purify ourselves and get back in the game...

You know we Franciscans just love Lent and penance. Try my blog 'Perfect Joy' and hit the label marked 'penance'. If you can only do one post try this for a lenten jumpstart: http://tau-cross.blogspot.com/2007/11/more-we-renounce-ourselves.html

remorji said...

I don't think you hate humankind, I think you hate the actions of some.