Sunday, January 13, 2008

Say What?!?!?!?

Am I just woefully oblivious to current events, or is there anyone else who hasn't heard about this?On January 9th, Joy Behar (whoever she is supposed to be, I never heard of her before this)said the following on "The View";

"I have a theory that you can’t find any saints anymore because of psychotropic medication. I think that [in] the old days, the saints were hearing voices and they didn’t have any Thorazine to calm them down," Behar said on ABC's daily chatfest. "Now that we have all of this medication available to us, you can’t find a saint anymore."

Now, I'm not really offended by this, as it really sounds like a bunch of ignorant people whove perhaps read one too many Jack Chick tracts, but now that I've actually done some research on who Behar is (I still dont understand why she thinks her opinion should matter so much to the rest of us), I have to ask; Where did you learn about the Saints Joy? Do you think that all the saints that were ever to be were chosen millenia ago? Have you ever heard of Maximillian Kolbe? Last time I read up on him, he just gave his life to save the life of a Polish soldier who was also a prisoner at Auschwitz, he didnt hear voices, or need medication, he just simply did what was right, what was Christ like.....

What about Padre Pio?
Katherine Drexel? Edith Stein? Solanus Casey? Ok, so he's not a full saint yet, but you get the picture. There are hundreds of Saints, who never heard voices, probably never had visions, but yet had some amazing gift that they gave to the world. people like you are a great dissapointment, because you say these crass things without giving them a single thought beforehand.

The entire transcript where Behar espouts the vast expanse of her ignorance of the Catholic Faith can be found here.

Pax et Bonum, Vivat Jesus

2 comments:

AnnieElf said...

Hi Steve - I don't watch The View but by sheer exposure to popular culture, I know who she (and THEY) are. I love this post and a copy of this should be sent to her, probably via The View. She may never see it but hey, it would be put out there, a sort of ripple if you will. And I love rippling as my profile indicates. Have a great day. Stay warm. It's cold here and no doubt colder there.

Tausign said...

Hi Steve,
Looking for a Divine edge in the Super Bowl game?

Come: To 'Perfect Joy' Blog
Read:Super Bowl XLII: Divine Drama
Vote: Your Prophecy

http://tau-cross.blogspot.com/2008/01/superbowl-xlii-divine-drama.html

Please pass it on.