Thursday, January 3, 2008


"The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them."
~Thomas Merton~

My oldest son, Lord I love him sooooo much, he's such a good kid, but he is always talking in school. It's his one fault, he doesnt know when to be quiet. I know he's only 6, and as such, he just goes with the flow, as 6 year olds are apt to do. He doesnt mean any harm, but he gets red marks for talking, and I find myself yelling at him, lecturing him like my Father did me, and I am horrified by this stark fact. What can I do? I want him to do good in school, i want him to have fun, and make friends, but I dont want him to get on his teachers bad side. Am I over reacting? Do I stop my lecturing - seeing as how it is my Father showing up in me- and just let him be? What do I do now?
Pax et Bonum, Vivat Jesus

2 comments:

Tausign said...

Yeah - you're probably over reacting. Let the teacher deal with it...[it's her classroom]...and you give her support. Unless she goes out of her way to let you know that it's a problem then let it go. The red marks are there because she reports what she observes.

I was the same as your son and drove my mother nuts. In the latter grades I was often assigned 'punishment' of copying the 'multiplication tables' endlessly because of talking in class. 7x8=56 rolls out of my head faster than most people can say their own name.

Oh, did I mention that I'm married to a second grade teacher who has endured 25 years of 'talkers'. Believe me it just rolls off their backs like water on a duck.

Barb, sfo said...

My older son was the same way (and I suspect my younger son is too, though his teacher has not yet complained.)

Big Brother's kindergarten teacher told me once that she had moved his seat several times and finally seated him at a table all alone. He still talked. She thought that was pretty funny.

Some little kids just need to provide their own soundtrack to their day. Eventually they learn how to do that in their heads.

The teacher is not recommending that you medicate your child or anything like that, right? She is not giving him severe punishments? If she's being reasonable about it, support her efforts and encourage your son.