Wednesday, December 12, 2007

the times, they are-a-changin...

When I was a small boy, I can recall my Father taking my sister and I downtown to see the window dressings at Belks Dept. Store and Iveys (not unlike the picture above), in downtown Charlotte. It was one of the highlights of Christmas for us,and is one of my fondest memories of childhood. It's quite reminiscent of Jean Shepherds own memoirs.Anyway, iIt meant alot to me, and, I'm sorry to say, neither one of those buildings is really around anymore, and, for the life of me, I cannot find a window display to take my boys to see. I want to make Christmas special for them, and as I attempt to complete this mission, I am reminded of my own Christmas memories.So now I am thinking ( in retrospect), what happened? Christmas used to have such a huge impact on us, you very rarely even heard someone say "Happy holidays", it was ALWAYS "Merry Christmas".I just dont understand why we have to be so careful to tread lightly when it comes to the Lords birthday. I understand that other people are not Christian, dont celebrate Christmas and all that, but why should we compromise a moment in our year that is only rivaled by the joy of Easter? It's not right, its just not right.

Anyway, we try to do things for the boys that will make Christmas special, and this past Sunday we went downtown to Imax to see "Polar Express". They enjoyed it thoroughly, and we all had a really good time, but walking thru downtown on our way back to the car, I could almost hear the ghosts of our laughter and delight from 33 years ago, and it made me a little sad. We have a bunch of things we do, alot of them Church oriented, but not all of them. I'm interested though; What are your family traditions? What do you do to herald in the Joy of our Lords Birth, AND to usher in the Holiday season?

No comments: