Thursday, November 22, 2007


A Thanksgiving Prayer

Samuel F. Pugh


"O God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me to remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen."

It was a particularly good day for my family; Me and my wife, (home together at the same time for once) my two sons, my Mom & Dad, Mother-in-law,Father-in-law, and two good family friends sat down for Thanksgiving, and we simply enjoyed life. I think it was by far the best thanksgiving I can remember in quite a while. the only drama today was my 6yo stepping in a fire ant colony in the front yard and geting his foot chewed up a bit (nothern friends, thats yet another thing you should give thanks for, no fire ants!). But seriously, the day was wonderful.


Its amazing how trivial we can make life, how we will take things for granted, and yet here we are, on one day out of the year, acknowledging the things were glad for. I have been at ends with my parents for quite some time now, the better part of 20 years or so in fact. But today was so warm and loving of a day, we adults sat around the dining room table drinking our coffee and wine, nibbling at just one more piece of pecan pie, just talking, acting like a family should. No arguements, no "one upping" no nasty or snide remarks, just.......love.

How easily we forget them the other 364 (or so) days of the year, how quickly our opinions change. Why do we do it? why can we not feel this loving, this charitable every day of the year? If we did, what wonders we could accomplish! How benevolent and grand our lives, our country could be!?!

"Were we only to correspond to God's graces continually being showered down on every one of us, we would be able to pass from being great sinners one day tobeing great saint the next"
~Ven. Solanus Casey~

2 comments:

Little Scribe said...

Thanks for your Thanksgiving message on Little Scribe. I'm so happy for you, for your day and all your blessings of family and home. Thank you for sharing so much from your heart. Peace and All Good.

Barb, sfo said...

OUCH--

But otherwise it sounds like the day was a true blessing for all of you. We also had a lovely day and saw LOTS of family members. There is much to be thankful for.