Friday, November 23, 2007

Helping others....


So I'm at work the other day, and we are printing one of a myriad of forms for behavioral health, and my eyes keep going to the same part on the form. It says:

"CHECK THE PROBLEM AREAS THE PATIENT FREQUENTLY EXPERIENCES"
.

I read down the lines of listed problems; heavy drinking, suicidal thoughts, self destructive behavior, etc, etc.Standard, run-of-the-mill questions for Behavioral healthcare forms. But the very last line, the very last part of the question posed, is:

"
HELPING OTHERS, BUT FORGETTING OWN NEEDS"

Now, I've been thinking about this line for a few days, and I'm sure there is a logical explanation for this, that it is simply a failure in my
own semantics, but it struck me as funny, because it is the truth. It is a problem area for a lot of us, but only because we -as a society- dont forget our own needs, and we dont help others as much as we know we ought to. How many of us made plans to get up this morning and go shopping at 5:00 AM? Probably noone who reads this, thats for sure, but how many of us know people at work that, come Monday, will tell us how much shopping they did over the weekend? How many of us will in turn, be able to say "I didnt go shoping, I helped feed the homeless", or something along those lines? Not me, thats for sure, but I want to change that, I want to be able to do those things that need to be done. At the risk of offending you dear reader, to hell with holiday shopping and early morning sales, and gimmicks to get me to buy! I want nothing to do with it! Nothing at all! It's not so much a withdrawal from society as it is an immersion into society that I desire. It's too late for me to feed the homeless on Thanksgiving, but it's not too late for me to start caring, and acting like the person I should be, the person i know I am, deep down inside.

No comments: