Tuesday, November 13, 2007

1,2,3,4,5..........


I hold my breath and count to ten. I slip the earbuds to my MP3 player on and press play. It seems like 30 seconds is an eternity while I wait for Lisa Gerard starts singing, so I can drown out the drama that unfolds before me. Almost mercifully, her voice booms out and for the next three hours I will listen to my personal selections over and over again.....


This is how my mornings at work start on an almost daily basis; with a woman with a Napoleon complex screaming at the rest of the staff about how stupid they are. she berates everyone for being inept, continually tells us how we know absolutely nothing about our jobs (depsite the fact that she never worked in a print shop before October of last year), and tells us on an almost daily basis about how horrible and loud her upstairs neighbors are.....For the past year-YEAR- this has been my work enviroment...... Is she my Boss you may ask? Is she in charge? No, but she seems to think she is. The only reasons she doesn't yell at me are because I keep my MP3 player on and because she yelled at me once, and I let her know -in no uncertain terms- that I wasn't afraid of her. But, I felt guilty and apologized later in the day to her. Nevertheless, she leaves me alone, but the other five guys I work with endure her insults and rants over and over (including our supervisor and our manager), without the aid of audio deterrents. It's really disheartening, and she makes a relatively laid back and easy job a grueling task. I loathe-actually loathe- the days when I get there before my colleagues and it is just she and I in the office. I have endured her complaints and insults for over a year now, and my only escape is my MP3 player.

So my question is this; how can I continue to show charity to a person like this? I mean, she very obviously has some sort of problem to be so mad all the time, but when does it become necessary for you to draw a line? I am trying to live my life by the rules of St. Francis; I want nothing more in this world to become a Secular Franciscan, but this woman! This woman brings out the worst in me, I find myself muttering curses under my breath, talking with co-workers when she leaves the room about whatever it is that has ired her on that particular day, I find myself not being particularly charitable, and it pains me......
I am reminded (actually, I just read it) of something Solanus casey once said: " If our love of God is genuine, then we would quite naturally love our neighbors as ourselves". So with this in mind, I slip my headset back on and wait for the calms in my day when I can breath easy. but still, what am I to do?

2 comments:

Little Scribe said...

I am so sorry - so sad, my friend. Try holy water, blessed salt, wear blessed objects, go to Mass before work, have holy picture at your desk (if you are allowed). Perhaps all of you could meet together with her supervisor to present the problem. If that fails, I pray that you will find a new job.

I came here tonight to let you know that I have a new video of grandbaby on my blog added to the Dream Come True post that you liked.

I shall ask my fraternity to pray for you and ask for intercession of John Paul II.

Peace and All Good,
Little Scribe

Barb, sfo said...

Just PRAY FOR HER. Constantly, if you have to. Even if it's just "God bless her." And be confident that He will.